Ladies o35 vs Barnes (Away) | 27 Feb 22

Won 1-5

Scorers: Mel C x2 Lara W x3

MoM: The Whole Team

DoD: Moira ( For Not playing!)

Our ladies O35s had a Sunday fixture away to Barnes. You’d think being situated near to the river Thames in glorious sunshine it would be a match to remember….

You would be right but perhaps for all the wrong reasons!!

Our debutant Emma Dunn (we are still waiting for Alice to admit she’s O35 and actually play) came in to the defensive line and looked a great addition. 15 minutes into the game and a lifted straight strike at a corner squashed and split one of her fingers so off to A&E she went

Barnes were physical, determined and at times bordering on overstepping some of the rules and it took Canterbury some time to settle into the game and to adjust their tactics.

They had the better of the possession and looked the most threatening until Canterbury won their first penalty corner that was dispatched by Mel Clewlow…..1-0 and a momentary sigh of relief!

Canterbury’s second corner saw the same result but this time a well worked 1-2 at the top of the circle between Mel & Nikki Triggs saw Lara Wilkinson tap in at the far post to save a few blushes!

2-0 and still not really in full flight so battle on was the name of the game.

Third corner of the game after Lara was wiped out in the circle….there’s a pattern developing here – boom 3-0 as a Mel straight shot was deflected off their runner and into the goal!

Half time 3-0 but we knew Barnes were still capable of causing problems and we needed to remain focussed.

We made lighter work of the game – some lovely work down the right hand side by Nikki and Sibs was causing Barnes to resort to some “desperate” defending. With Rachel van de Merwe wreaking havoc on the left Barnes were under the pump!

4-0 was a goal mouth scramble with Lara playing a 1-2 with their GK and her hat trick after Chirpy (Gemma Luckhurst) saw the Barnes GK make an unbelievable save only for this to drop to Lara who lifted the ball into an empty net.

Barnes did get a consolation goal from a well worked deflected corner but 5-1 with 8 minutes to go was a mountain they were never going to climb!

Final whistle was met with relief that no one else had been injured and although not playing to their best Canterbury still walked away with a 5-1 win with a quarter final against St Albans to look iPhone forward to next Sunday (6th March).

Well done team…..we’ve moved 1 step closer

Squad: Mel Rachel Nikki Sibs Lara Emma Rebecca Natalie Gemma Cara Alex Trudy Karen Becky