Men’s 2nd XI vs Guildford 1s (Home) | 04 Dec 21

Lost 1-2

Scorers: C Slade

MoM: C Slade

DoD: O Lumley

Some headlines from the local newspapers describing the Thursday evening weather phenomenon included; “The Big Freeze”, “Icy Blast to Bring Chaos” and, in reference to Pilgrims ‘captain’ Paul Crane, “Freeze up”. It was of no surprise that the pitches at Polo fell to the cold weather.

Guildford, unbeaten and top of the league, were going to be a test for the 2s. Experience was missing from the defence; captain, Andrew Dunn, had failed his fitness test for the Millers at 12:00. Ed Butcher was with his turkeys. Michael Farrer, missing last weekend to move house, finally managed to unpack enough boxes to be allowed out to play. Nick Buckingham, despite his handling of some old willys, was back in the side, complete with a new DBS.

An impressive start by Canterbury, with the Kookaburra Saturn, Alex Laslett twice broke into the Guildford circle. His first attempt resulted in a shot from the baseline, his second a pass that was well defended. At the request of Farrer, the ball was changed to a Kookaburra Standard. Canterbury continued to play on the front foot managing to create two great goal scoring chances for Chris Slade, one of which was struck wide and the other cleared off the line. Despite the bright start, Guildford grew into the game and began to dominate possession, and, in the 19th minute, converted from their second PC of the game, a well executed deflection routine. 0-1

The structure and passing patterns that had afforded Canterbury the early opportunities went missing with Guildford winning another PC, failing to execute.

Half time came and the message was clear, return to the game plan (the game plan wasn’t in a big enough font for Josh Prebble), this was; a slight adjustment in press and when we win ball to play short through the lines.

Minutes into the second half, Farrer was lost to injury, the previous 10 days of moving heavy boxes resulted in a pain down the side of his knee. The diagnosis was weak glutes.

Canterbury had moved into a more counter attacking shape, by accident more than design, nonetheless they were resolute in defence and showed glimpses of a threat. One glimpse finally turned into a chance, in the 60th minute, Luke Kennedy, broke through the circle and cut the ball back from the baseline to Slade. Sliding along the ground, Slade dispatched the ball into the goal with a first time sweep. 1-1

No sooner had Slade stopped high fiving everyone, Guildford had restarted and worked the ball into the D winning their 5th and 6th PC of the game. The 6th was converted with a drag flick. 1-2

Canterbury searched for an equaliser but couldn’t create the chance they needed. Guildford saw out the game to take the 3 points.

Post match, there were some udderly fantastic scenes in the clubhouse, led by stand-in skipper Charlie Lloyd-Hughes. Highlights include Hursty’s Happy Hour, both MOM and DOD successfully negotiating a table and Poddy taking a dizzy tumble.

Unfortunately the following curries and naans will always taste a little bit of deceit.

Pasanda and Peshwari Naan
Chicken Bhuna and Plain Naan
Lamb Tikka and Peshwari Naan
Tikka Masala and Garlic Cheese Naan
Lamb Madras and Garlic Naan
Chicken Tikka Dhansak
Jalfrezi and Garlic Naan
Chicken Bhuna and Garlic Naan
Prawn Rogan Josh and Peshwari Naan

Nobody puts cow in the corner.

Squad: E Rowney, C Lloyd-Hughes (c), P Crane, S Coode, L Zillmer, M Farrer, D Colquhoun, L Kennedy, A Laslett, H Corteen-Coleman, P Brookson, C Slade, J Prebble, C Figgis, N Buckingham