1st XI vs Team Bath Bucaneers (Away) | 02 Feb 20

Won 2-0

Scorers: Louis Ridge x2

MoM: Cade Banditt

DoD: Lewis Fossey

After a strong 6-0 spanking of Havant in a friendly match last weekend, the CHCM1 side had an infectious positivity moving into the restart of the league. A bold move was taken to drive to Bath on the morning of the match, with some players seemingly suffering with Carona virus and managing to only speak a handful of words throughout the entire 4 or so hours. A few caffeine boosts later (take notes W.H.O) and the side was prepped and ready to take on a strong home side. The first quarter was a dominant display by the boys in green and white, with smooth transitions through each line putting their defences under immense strain. This success was infectious and sure enough an error from their defender foolishly trying to skill his way out of defence was jumped upon and played off to Louis Ridge, with a cool head he slotted the shot confidently into the far side netting. This clinical finish only buoyed the team on and a short corner was earned not too long after. After a previous attempt of Rich Keir to (test the ‘keeper out) the huddle decided on a return back to skipper Vaughan. With professional execution and a clean goal scored, the team was on a high. This was unfortunately to be crushed soon after by a reversal from the umpires, the reasoning for which can only make sense to the those delirious from fever. This seemed to be a turning point for the side as we moved into the second quarter. The Bath contingent regrouped well, and sat in a tight zonal press, not unlike a bunch of macrophages waiting to swarm on the infectious Canterbury. The green and white plague started to weaken and become overpowered by this new force. Wave after wave for the next two and a half quarters took its toll on the visiting side, conceding multiple corners and eventually leading to a penalty stroke (another fever riddled rationale). Cade Banditt stood strong in goals and produced a spectacular full stretch stick save, giving the side some renewed energy and vigour. Moving into the last quarter still at 1-0, we were aware that this was always going to be a tough fight. The key defenders for Canterbury in Chris Laslett and Toby Vaughan were run ragged, putting up defences quicker than Chinese authorities can construct hospitals. With around 6 minutes left in the match, Bath sneakily subbed their goalkeeper off to add to their onslaught. Unfortunately for them, a quick aerial after gaining a defensive 16 free hit left Will Mead to receive and easily slip the ball to an unmarked Louis Ridge. The second open goal opportunity arose for the forward and this time he made no mistake to seal the deal and collect his brace (and hat trick avoidance penalty, cheers). Upon group reflection after the game it was recognised that we played at a decent enough level, although not nearly at our best. To take 3 points and a clean sheet was something to be proud of. The confidence in the group is on the up and after a solid week of training we are confident that going into next weekend we can put in a clinical performance and give the Green Fortress a cracking match to watch.

Squad: Cade Banditt 1 , Richard Keir 2 , James Henderson 3 , Chris Laslett 4 , Toby Vaughan 5 , Oliver Ridge 6 , Thomas Degiovanni 7 , Lewis Fossey 8 , William Mead 9 , Matthew Carney 10 , Craig Boyne 11 , Louis Ridge 12 , Conor Annand 13 , Patrick Brookson 14 , Adam Lee-Browne 16